Getting pregnant in college can be scary and stressful. You’re already juggling so much and are now facing a major decision. You may be wondering how you can make it through your next exam, let alone to graduation.
It can be easy to panic at a moment like this. Take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Bakersfield Pregnancy Center is here to help! Keep reading to learn more about your rights and the resources available to you as a pregnant college student!
What are my Rights as a College Student? What is Title IX?
Title IX is a law that protects pregnant students from discrimination. It requires colleges to provide certain accommodations for pregnant students so they can achieve academic success during their pregnancies. Any school that receives federal funds is required to comply with Title IX.
What Accommodations are There for Pregnant Students?
Pregnant students are entitled to quite a few accommodations under Title IX! Examples include elevator access and larger desks. Your professors and coaches must also:
- Excuse absences related to your pregnancy and childbirth
- Allow you to make up the work or exams you missed due to pregnancy and childbirth
- Allow you to make frequent trips to the restroom as needed
Can I Still Participate in Sports While Pregnant?
Yes! Title IX enables you to continue participating in sports and other extracurricular activities during your pregnancy. Of course, it’s important to consider whether it’s safe for you to play certain sports while pregnant. However, the decision to participate (or not) is between you and your doctor. Your coach and professors can’t force you to quit any activities.
Can I Stay in My Dorm While Pregnant?
You’re allowed to stay in your dorm while pregnant. In fact, it’s illegal to kick pregnant students out of their dorms! If someone is trying to get you kicked out due to your pregnancy, contact your campus Title IX coordinator! They will keep you informed of your rights and help you stand up against any discrimination you may be facing.
Are there Scholarships for Pregnant Students?
Yes! There are scholarships for pregnant students to help reduce out-of-pocket costs. The best part? Unlike loans, they don’t need to be repaid after graduation!
Can I Lose My Scholarships Because of My Pregnancy?
Absolutely not! According to Title IX and the NCAA Model Pregnancy and Parenting Policy, you cannot lose your scholarships because of your pregnancy. As long as your remain in good academic standing and don’t drop out, you can keep all of the scholarships you received before getting pregnant.
Support for Pregnant Students in Bakersfield, CA
We get it—pregnancy wasn’t part of your plan. But, it doesn’t have to derail your academic career! Bakersfield Pregnancy Center is here to help, from your first pregnancy test to graduation day! Our center is a safe place to explore all of your pregnancy options, so you can make an informed and empowered decision for your future!
Call us at (661) 464-7723 or schedule your free appointment today!
- US Department of Education. (2020, January 10). Pregnant or Parenting? Title IX Protects You From Discrimination At School. Ed.gov. Retrieved from https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-know-rights-201306-title-ix.html
- College Grants & Scholarships for Pregnant Women. Scholarships for Women. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.scholarshipsforwomen.net/pregnant/
- A Review of Federal Law and NCAA Rules Impacting Treatment of Pregnant and Parenting Student-Athletes. NCAA.org. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa.org/documents/2021/1/18/Model_Policy_Legal_Review.pdf